A suicide car bomber attacked a bus full of Iranian soldiers in the Sistan and Balochistan Province of southeastern Iran on Wednesday, killing at least 41 troops with the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps.
The bus was travelling on a highway between Zahedan and Khash, not far from the Pakistani border, when the attack took place. Jihadist group Jaish al-Adl has issued a statement claiming credit for the attack.
Jaish al-Adl is an offshoot of Jundallah, another Balochistan militant group active in both Iran and Pakistan. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard issued a statement blaming the United States for the Wednesday attack.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry said they saw a connection between the deadly terrorist attack and the US-backed meeting in Warsaw, which is organized to gin up global opposition to Iran.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Declare ISIS 'Defeated' in Syria - March 23rd, 2019
- US Announces New Sanctions Against Iran, Targeting Former Nuclear Scientists - March 22nd, 2019
- Trump's Golan Heights Move Broadly Condemned Worldwide - March 22nd, 2019
- White House Again Declares Victory Over ISIS, But Fighting Continues - March 22nd, 2019
- Pompeo: 'Possible' God Sent Trump to Be Savior of Israel - March 22nd, 2019
Author: Jason Ditz
Jason Ditz is news editor of Antiwar.com. View all posts by Jason Ditz