SAGINAW, MI – The day before his trial was to begin, one of two Saginaw teens accused of shooting at a man as he to drove to work early one morning has accepted a plea deal.
Rayshon J. Macon, 16, on Monday, May 20, appeared before Saginaw County Circuit Judge Manvel Trice III and pleaded guilty to single counts of discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle and felony firearm. The former is a 10-year felony, while the latter comes with a mandatory minimum two-year sentence.
In a prior Cobbs hearing, Trice indicated Macon’s sentence on the first charge would be toward the top of the minimum guidelines, along with a consecutive two years on the second conviction. A Cobbs hearing sees a judge outline the likely penalty a defendant will face if convicted.
In exchange for his pleas, prosecutors agreed to dismiss a second count of felony firearm and a charge of assault with intent to murder.
Second person accused of shooting at truck after traffic crash in Saginaw arrested
He had been on the lam for two months.
Macon’s trial was set to begin Tuesday. His 19-year-old codefendant, Detorian D. Jenkins, remains charged with the same four counts Macon’s originally faced, along with unrelated sexual assault charges, and is set for trial on Nov. 13.
Authorities allege the duo’s crime occurred in the early hours of Dec. 8. During a January preliminary examination, a man testified that about 3:40 a.m. on that day he was driving to work in his truck on State Street. When he approached the Hill Street intersection, a red Honda ran the flashing red light and the two vehicles collided, the Honda veering into a yard behind him, he said.
“They proceeded to back out of the yard and take off,” he said. “I put my truck in reverse – I wanted to get the license plate — and proceeded to follow them.”
Car full of teens crashed into his truck, then opened fire on him, man testifies in Saginaw courtroom
A 16-year-old is charged with four felonies, while the older teen prosecutors believe pulled the trigger remains at large.
Eventually, someone appeared in a passenger window, held a pistol sideways, and opened fire on him, he testified.
“They sat on the windowsill and pointed (the gun) right at me,” he said. “I ducked and turned my steering wheel and hopped over the curb.”
Three bullets struck his truck, but not him. He stopped following the car and went to work, where he called 911.
He said he counted at least five people in the car.
Three 15-year-old girls testified in the same hearing, saying they were in the Honda that had collided with the truck. One said she had been driving the car, it being her mother’s, though she had no driver’s license.
She said she did not stop after the collision because she was scared. A boy in the backseat, whom she only identified by initials, opened fire on the pursuing truck out of the car’s rear passenger window, she said.
Another of the girls said she had heard Macon telling another male passenger to “pop him.”
Both Macon and Jenkins remain in custody.
Trice is to sentence Macon at 9 a.m. on July 15.