Police Continue Investigation After Davis Police Officer Shot, Killed

A man was shot and killed by a police officer near Sallisaw Thursday morning, according to Sequoyah County Sheriff Larry Lane.

The incident began when a school employee called police to report a suspicious person, according to Lane. The employee thought the person may have been Travis Lee Davis, the subject of a nearby manhunt.


The person was later identified as Shawn Taylor Watie, age 27, of Stillwell.

Police found the suspicious person walking on Highway 59, south of Sallisaw.

"Watie came after the officers with a weapon, which was a knife, at which point Watie was shot by the officers," a press release by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations (OSBI) read.

"If someone was to pull a knife on an officer and they're charging you, you don't have time to sit there and think about what to do and how to respond, you have to defend your life," said Lane.

Sallisaw Police Captain Jeff Murray said, "We've been trained that somebody who has a knife in their possession, within 21 feet, they can make it to us before we can get our service weapon."

The man was brought to a hospital in Sallisaw, where he was pronounced dead.

"It's definitely hard on officers, but I understand that at the same time Mr. Watie was somebody's son, brother, grandson and I also feel that impact for them."

The OSBI is investigating the incident.


Man shot and killed by police officer near Sallisaw
Investigation continues into killing of Davis police officer; Gov. Newsom orders flags to half-staff
Dutch police continue investigation in deadly tram shooting
Who investigates after police shootings in St. Louis?
Portland police continue investigation of deadly shooting
Community continues to mourn slain Davis officer
Investigation continues after officer wounded in shooting; man killed
Burglary suspect shot and killed by Mansfield police identified
Trevor Smith shot dead by police in Birmingham - this is everything the IOPC have said
Justice for Stephon Clark: Protests Erupt as DA Fails to Charge Cops Who Killed Unarmed Black Father